Nau mai, haere mai, welcome to eyeCONTACT, a forum built to encourage art reviews and critical discussion about the visual culture of Aotearoa New Zealand. I'm John Hurrell its editor, a New Zealand writer, artist and curator. While Creative New Zealand and other supporters are generously paying me and other contributors to review exhibitions over the following year, all expressed opinions are entirely our own.

Saturday, February 21, 2009

We mourn the recent passing of Ted Bracey,


superb painter, theoretician, educator and supportive friend to many an Ilam graduate. He will be sorely missed.

3 comments:

Mr June said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. Ted was a hefty influence on many of my generation at Ilam- at that stage Ted was teaching mostly in art theory papers, and did so in a typically sincere and impassioned way. He will be remembered and missed in equal measure by those that had the opportunity to know him.

-Andre

John Hurrell said...

Thanks for your comments, Andre.
My article 'Shifting Between Worlds' - on Ted's life and achievements - can be found in 'Art News' Summer 2008, pp 108 -111.

maps said...

Hi John,

this might interest you re Ted Bracey:
http://readingthemaps.blogspot.com/2009/04/arguing-with-ted-bracey_09.html
Sorry if I;ve got some of the details of his career wrong - I haven't consulted much of the secondary literature.